Fighting insidious attacks by cybercriminals is a full-time job. Attacks are constantly evolving as bad guys try to catch companies off guard.
As threats evolve, devices like theFortinet Fortigate Firewallthat use threat intelligence and AI have become more important in detecting the latest attacks.
Here's our list of the top ten Fortinet scanners:
- Paessler PRTG Network Monitor EDITOR'S CHOICEThis local package is capable of collecting live performance metrics from all network devices, including firewalls. The system can also observe activity on servers and track application actions. This tool will provide Fortinet monitoring to simultaneously track the performance of all your other IT assets. download the30 day free trial.
- 24x7 siteA cloud-based infrastructure monitoring system spanning servers, networks, and applications.
- ManageEngine Firewall Log AnalyzerA SIEM tool installed on Windows Server or Linux.
- fastvue reporterMonitors Fortinet FortiGate with graphical views of live data and produces a wide range of activity reports.
- LogicMonitorA cloud-based infrastructure monitor that can monitor Fortinet and FortiGate.
- ZenossAn online infrastructure monitoring system that can track events on any network connected to the Internet. It can be extended with a Fortigate plugin.
- ZabbixGenericNameA free, open source infrastructure monitoring system that can be tailored via "templates" to monitor Fortigate. It works on Linux.
- Nagios Core y Nagios XIFree and paid version of this popular infrastructure monitoring system. The user community produces free extensions, including nine for Fortigate monitoring.
- splunkA world famous SIEM tool with an extension for Fortigate monitoring. Available in free and paid versions.
- CyfinA log analyzer with specialized modules for monitoring Fortinet. Good for demonstrating HIPAA and CIPA compliance.
What is Fortinet?
Fortinet is an American company that producescyber security systems. It started in 2000 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. The company was founded by brothers Ken and Michael Xie and now, 21 years later, they are still at the helm. At the end of 2019, the company had more than 6,000 employees and annual revenue of $2.16 billion.
The main product of the company isFortiGateGenericName, a firewall device. Fortinet recently made available a virtual appliance option for the FortiGate. Fortinet has been expanding the FortiGate family, creatingFortiGate SD-WANin 2018. Most recently, the company has diversified the FortiGate product name with the launch ofStrong AIs, a threat detection system that uses Artificial Intelligence in its detection processes.
What is Fortinet used for?
All Fortinet products are geared towardsProtection of networks and endpointsof cyber attack. The company markets its entire range as “safety cloth”, which is its proprietary term. It means a platform that offers a selection of modules that can work together to improve security. This is a strategy that many other cybersecurity vendors are now adopting.
What is a Fortinet scanner?
Fortinet produces a device, calledFortiAnalyzerGenericName, which behaves like a SIEM system. Collects log data and feedback from other Fortinet devices and systems. It then correlates that data in real time, looking for threats.
SIEM systemsthey are very common now: Fortinet is not a leader in the areas and did not invent the strategy.
Many rival companies produce systems that can analyze the log messages generated by Fortinet's systems. Therefore, it is possible to buya parser packagewhich is capable of receiving logs from Fortinet devices along with theEventmessages fromwindowssystems,system logmessages fromlinuxhosts and log messages sent by a variety of applications.
A log message server and consolidator can be invoked that can retrieve, process, and parse messages from Fortinet devicesa Fortinet analyzer.
Best Fortinet Scanners
Our methodology for selecting a Fortinet analyzer
We reviewed the Fortinet monitor market and analyzed the tools based on the following criteria:
- The ability to monitor network devices.
- Remote site monitoring capabilities and cloud platforms
- traffic monitoring systems
- Analysis of activity patterns
- Retrospective analysis of activities to collect threat intelligence
- A free trial or money-back guarantee for a risk-free trial opportunity
- Good features that allow full monitoring capabilities at a fair price that represents good value for money
With these selection criteria in mind, we took a look at the packages available for monitoring Fortinet and identified the best options currently available.
1. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor (FREE TRIAL)
Monitor de red Paessler PRTGis a unified network monitoring solution that can monitor Fortinet devices. Uses of PRTG Network MonitorSNMP,Trampas SNMP, minetwork flow collectionto monitor the performance of connected devices. There is also an auto detection feature so you canautomatically discover connected devices.
- Device performance monitoring
- Network traffic monitoring
- WAN performance monitoring
- Cloud hosted option
- Alerts for detected issues
Sensors like theSNMP traffic sensorIt's inSNMP system uptimeThe sensor collects performance data from the devices. However, if you want to go deeper, you can create custom sensors. Metrics you can track with custom sensors includeTotal CPU usage,session count,memory usage,Total user (by CPU),User usage (time),state,Packets sent/received,latency, miBe nervous. The wide range of settings allows you to identify a variety of attacks.
You don't need to manually monitor these sensors to stay aware of security events.PRTG Network Monitoringissues alerts as soon as a problem is identified. Alerts notify you whenever a sensor status changes, value changes, or a predefined threshold is violated.
- Offers dashboards and templates that complement your use of Fortinet
- Uses a combination of packet sniffing, WMI, and SNMP to report network performance data
- Drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to create custom views and reports
- Each sensor is specifically designed to monitor each application, for example, there are pre-built sensors whose specific purpose is to capture and monitor VoIP activity.
- Supports a free version
- It is a very complete platform with many features and moving parts that take time to learn.
There is a free version ofMonitor de red Paessler PRTGyou can download if you want to monitor 100 sensors or less. The software starts at $1,600 (£1,298) for 500 sensors and one installation and goes up to $14,500 (£11,767) for unlimited sensors. There is also a version with five server installations and unlimited sensors that costs $60,000 (£48,695). You can download the30 day free trial.
Monitor de red Paessler PRTGit's our top pick for a Fortinet analyzer and monitor because it provides constant monitoring of Fortinet devices while still keeping an eye on the performance of all your network equipment. The service can also view events on cloud-based systems if you opt for a Fortinet edge or SD-WAN service. The ability to monitor Fortinet services as part of your system-wide monitoring responsibilities means this package offers excellent value for money.
Download:Download a FREE 30 day trial
Official website: https://www.paessler.com/download/prtg-download?download=1
SO:Windows Server or cloud-based
24x7 siteit's aSaaS-based central monitoring toolwhich can monitor Fortinet's infrastructure. Site24x7 has a variety of metrics for monitoring Fortigate devices. The tool monitorsbig buffer hits,large buffer errors,buffer fails,cpu utilization,cpu utilization,incoming packet drop,interface collisions,disk usage,incoming packets,active session count, and more. You can monitor all of these metrics through the dashboard.
- cloud based system
- Monitor multiple websites and cloud resources
- Live performance tracking
- Historical data analysis
The software has an alert system to keep you updated on the latest security events. There are instant notifications viaemail,SMS,voice,Instant messaging,push notifications,RSS, and more. Alerts can be configured so you can set thresholds to check notifications wherever you are.
- Cloud-based flexible monitoring option
- Offers a number of monitoring options and ready-to-use dashboard templates
- Allows administrators to see dependencies in the application stack, which is good for creating SLAs and optimizing uptime
- Offers AI-enhanced root cause analysis to resolve technical issues faster
- Site24x7 is a feature-rich platform with options that go beyond server monitoring, it can take time to learn all the options and features.
The initial version of24x7 sitethe infrastructurethe package costs $9 (£7.30) per month. You can purchase additional plugins until you have what you need. Pricing is $15 (£12) per month for 10 additional servers, 50 servers for $50 (£40) per month and 500 servers/sites for $500 (£405). You can subscribe to30 day free trial.
ManageEngine Firewall Log Analyzeris a log management tool that is compatible with Fortigate firewalls.ManageEngine Firewall Log Analyzerhas a syslog server that can get data from Fortinet devices in WELF or syslog format. Configuring the program to do this is simple, but you must first configure the firewall to send this information to the syslog server. Once you've done that, you can take a look at the traffic coming into the network.
- Monitor Fortinet devices
- Traffic and event reports
- In vivo and retrospective analysis
There is an extensive reporting feature included in the program with many options that are compatible with Fortinet devices.live reports,traffic reports,Protocol Usage Reports,web usage reports,Mail Usage Reports,Event Summary Reports,Firewall Rules Reports, miattack reportsThese are just some of the types of reports that the program offers.
- Offers cloud and on-premises deployment options, giving businesses more deployment options
- You can highlight interdependencies between applications to map how performance issues can affect business operations
- It offers log monitoring to track metrics such as memory usage, disk I/O, and cache health, providing a holistic view of your network health.
- Can automatically discover databases, server hardware, and devices for asset management in real time
- Fully exploring all the available features and options may take some time.
There are three versions ofManageEngine Firewall Log Analyzeravailable for purchase:Standard Edition,professional edition, miEnterprise Edition. Pricing starts at $395 (£320) with a maximum number of devices of 60 for the Standard Edition with support for one device.
Oprofessional editionit costs $595 (£482) for a device with a maximum count of 60 and configuration analysis and firewall rule analysis. The Enterprise edition costs $8,395 (£6,813) for 20 devices with a maximum number of devices of 1,200.download free trial.
fastvue reporteris a usage reporting tool for the Fortinet FortiGate.quick reportr has alive dashboardthat shows real-time performance of bandwidth, throughput, and protection. There issmart alertstherefore, the user is notified when there is problematic activity, such as unusually large downloads or a cyber attack.
- Monitores Fortinet FortiGate
- Activity Analysis Reports
- smart alerts
As the name suggests,fastvue reporterThe number one feature is their reports. Cancreate and schedule reportsfor FortiGate routers. To ensure reports are sent to the right people, you can filter byDepartments,security groups,workshops, osubnets. Report filters are useful for responding to threats and keeping the right people aware of what's going on.
activity reportsthey are also extremely useful for remediating threats. Reports include timestamps, URLs, and green bars to show where browsing sessions ended. Having this information readily available makes it much easier to investigate performance issues without going through mountains of logs.
- Offers simple and intuitive Fortinet monitoring through a custom dashboard
- Take advantage of intelligent alerts to reduce false positives and highlight abnormal behavior
- Quickly produce simple reports
- Not the first choice for enterprise-scale customers with strong reporting requirements
To see a price offastvue reporterYou will have to request a quote directly from the company. The price depends on the number of users, the length of the subscription period and the number of FortiGates you need to monitor. Candownload a free trial.
LogicMonitoris a Fortinet and FortiGate compatible infrastructure monitoring tool. The platform offersautomatic discovery,panels, miannouncementto monitor IT infrastructure. The software is agentless, making it easy to deploy in virtually any environment.
- cloud based system
- Monitor networks, devices and applications
- Track hardware and firmware performance on Fortinet systems
There are manycustom logic modulesthat can be used with Fortinet devices. These modules allow you to monitor the Fortigate firewall todisk usage,high availability mode,Module memory usage,module sessions,Security associations per module,Sensor value,current sessions,Use of resources,threats,peer CPU,Blocked HTTP requests,Blocked HTTP sessions, miBlocked HTTP URLs.
- Monitor application performance via the cloud
- You can monitor assets in hybrid cloud environments
- Dashboard can be customized and saved, ideal for different NOC teams or individual users
- The trial lasts only 14 days, I would like to see a longer trial period
There are three versions ofLogicMonitoravailable to buy underStandard Pricing Model:Beginner,Pro, miCompany. The Starter version starts at 50 devices, the Pro version at 100 devices, and the Enterprise version at 200 devices. You must contact the sales team directly for a quote. there is also a14 day free trial.
Zenossis an infrastructure monitoring tool available as a SaaS platform. On the dashboard, you canmonitor the performance of IT systems and devices in your local environment(including Fortinet and FortiGate devices). The program also uses machine learning to identify unusual patterns and malicious behavior to reduce the impact of cyberattacks.
- SaaS Package
- free version available
- Add-on for Fortinet monitoring
Zenoss has several plugins calledZen packages. There is a ZenPack dedicated to Fortigate calledMonitor de Fortigar SNMP. The Fortigate SNMP Monitor divides the classes intoRed,router,firewall, mistrengthen. User can monitor Fortigate firewall metrics such ascpu utilization,memory usage, miNumber of sessions.
- Offers Fortinet monitoring through a simple plugin
- Use network discovery to automatically get new devices to join the network
- Supports Cisco Layer 2-4 devices
- Support is for paid tiers only
If you are looking for a detailed and versatile infrastructure monitoring experience, thenZenossis ideal, especially if you also want to monitor Fortinet devices. To see the price, you will need to request a quote directly from the company. CanRequest a demo here.
ZabbixGenericNameIt is an open source network monitoring, server monitoring, cloud-based service monitoring, application monitoring, and service monitoring platform. Zabbix is compatible with Fortinet devices and there are several Zabbix models designed for Fortigate. An example is theFortigar model SNMP.
- free tool
- Fortinet monitoring template available
- Track networks, cloud resources, servers and applications
OFortigar model SNMPcan monitorUPC%,HIT%,Disk (total and used),operating system version,Serial number, miinterface data(link and speed). They provide basic information for monitoring SNMP data.
- Open source transparent tool
- Includes Fortinet monitoring template
- You can detect new devices and configuration changes immediately
- Robust notification system with support for SMS, email, custom script and webhook
- Not available for Windows
The main advantage ofZabbixGenericNameis that it is completely free. The tool is available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOs, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, and Raspbian. CanDownload Zabbix for free.
nagios coremiNagios XIare network monitoring platforms that can monitor Fortigate. Nagios Core is an open source product of Nagios and Nagios XI is a proprietary product that you must pay to use. However, both tools haveacceso a Nagios Exchange.
- Free and paid versions
- Plugins for Fortinet Monitoring
- It covers servers and applications, as well as network devices.
Nagios Exchange is a library of plugins that extend the basic functionality of the products. There isnine different plugins for Fortigatein exchange for Nagios. These includeCheck lucky active sessions,Check the Fortigate CPU l
Carry,Check Fortify CPU Usage,Check Strengthen Memory,Check Fortigate Status, and more.
Each plugin has different functions: oCheck CPU Happy Loadallows you to see the CPU load of your firewall and theCheck Fortigate Hardware StatusThe plugin allows you to monitor the overall health of the device.
- It is open source and completely free, with a payment option for companies.
- Supports auto-discovery for easy device management
- Highly customizable and detailed dashboard (9 extensions for Fortinet)
- Offers many features that may take time to explore
nagios coremiNagios XIare good options if you are looking for cost-effective solutions to monitor Fortinet devices. Paid versions of Nagios XI start at $1,995 (£1,618) for the Standard Edition and $3,495 (£2,836) for the Enterprise Edition. CanDownload the free trial.
splunkis one of the most famous network monitoring tools in the world.splunkYou can obtain log and machine data from devices on your network and from Fortinet components. There is an extension created forFortinetcalledFortinet FortiGate Applicationforsplunk. The app provides real-time and historical analysis of wireless traffic, threats, advertisements, and more. Both Splunk and the plugin can be installed in a matter of minutes.
- An adaptable data analysis tool
- Analyze log files
- Fortinet Monitoring Extension
The monitoring experience is dashboard driven. From here you can monitor theperformancemiresponse timesof your devices. EITHERthe dashboard is customizableso you can choose which real-time and historical data to monitor.
- You can use behavior analytics to detect threats that are not discovered through logs
- A great and very visual user interface with easy customization options
- company focused
- Cross-platform available for Linux and Windows
- Serves enterprise networks more than small and medium-sized organizations
There is a free version ofsplunkwhich supports one user and up to 500MB of data per day.Splunk Nuvemservice: supports unlimited users and unlimited data. So if you need more data than the free version, you'll need to contact the sales team directly for a quote. Candownload free trial.
Cyfinis a web monitoring and log analyzer platform designed forFortinet,Palo Alto,sonic wall,control,Be alert,ciscoand other device providers. You can connect your Fortigate router to the Cyfin Syslog server to start monitoring your network. The syslog server canmonitor UDP and TCP based log messages. Once the log files are transferred to the server, you can view them in theLog File Viewer.
- log parser
- Special routines to examine the activity of network devices
- AI-based analytics
For general control, thesmart engine analysisfunction helps you analyze the data you have collected. After collecting the data, you cangenerate reportsfor further analysis. The reports are alsoaccording to CIPAmiHIPAAmake the software suitable for auditing purposes.
- Monitors TCP and UDP traffic
- Take advantage of artificial intelligence for data analysis
- Offers reports based on compliance (HIPAA, CIPA, etc.)
- Ideal for smaller networks
If you are looking for a log analyzer that is easy to use and quick to set up, thenCyfinIt is of great quality, although you will have to contact the sales team to request a quote. there is also afree trial version.
Choosing a Fortinet scanner
Fortinet devices and Fortigate routers are no different than any other device on your network. They must be monitored and maintained to minimize the risk of a cyber attack.
Purchasing a solution that offers the ability to measure these platforms is invaluable in detecting security threats and minimizing damage to your network. Capturing malicious traffic coming through your router can be the difference between staying online and going out of business.
tools likeMonitor de red Paessler PRTG,24x7 site,ManageEngine Firewall Log Analyzer, misplunkthey are specifically supported for Fortinet devices. By connecting a network monitoring tool to your Fortigate router, you can benefit from immediate notifications as soon as a security event begins.
Fortinet Analyzer FAQ
What is the Fortinet Analyzer?
Fortinet devices are network devices and their performance can be analyzed with a standard network monitor. Network monitors use Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) to track the status of network devices, and Fortinet devices ship with SNMP agents loaded on them. There is also a system available from Fortinet called FortiAnalyzer, it is a SIEM system that collects and analyzes log messages.
What is Fortinet used for?
Fortinet provides network security. While the company traditionally only delivered physical appliances with firewall software loaded, Fortinet has now branched out to also offer virtual appliances and SaaS cloud services.
What is packet flow in FortiGate firewall?
The FortiGate appliance is a security system delivered on a network appliance. All packets on the network travel through the device, and the number of packets entering the device (input) and packets leaving the device (output) constitutes the packet flow.